NATIONAL/BJ/071113 - "..national alert will help prevent a successful tenancy application going forward.." | Discuss

Welcome to the Property Forum where we can share our knowledge & experiences together to become better at what we do.

Forum Terms & Conditions

Page not looking right? Please CLICK HERE to RELOAD

Enlarge/Change font size here

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
NATIONAL/BJ/071113 - "..national alert will help prevent a successful tenancy application going forward.."
08/11/2013
11:40 pm
SufferedInSuffolk
Guests

http://www.landlordreferencing.....lbj071113/

The house is in a location where I am unlikely to attract professional tenants, so I am aware of the calibre of tenant that it will attract. However, I do my due diligence, am selective as I usually have a lot of applicants to choose from, and on this occasion I got a guarantor. He was a housing benefit  and needed to top up his rent as the benefit entitlement did not cover it. I did a TenantVerify and he came out as Green - Accept.

We worked together to work out a payment plan so that he was aware of the shortfall in benefit and the due date and amount of his top up. Initially he appeared to be the ideal tenant. He had custody of his child and the house was reasonably clean and tidy on inspections. He maintained the garden to a reasonable standard. He called me if he was going to be late with a payment and all appeared to be well.

However, despite regular rental payments over the past 6 months the garden became unkempt, he became difficult to contact and the last 2 months rent was not received. I eventually received a text message stating that he had left the property and put the keys back through the letterbox. This was fortunate as it meant that I did not need to pursue the lengthy and costly eviction process.

However, by this time he was 2 months in arrears. The property was very dirty, the garden neglected, and the house required complete painting and decorating throughout, new carpets and vinyl flooring.

It also transpired that he had paid NO water bills. He also paid no gas bill until I presume he was threatened with being cut off, at which point he pretended he had just moved in and had a card meter fitted without my consent. In total he owed over £500 in water bills & over £900 in gas. It would appear that in the last 6 months or so he lost custody of his child and had therefore been overpaid more than £600 in housing benefit. I think life that prior to that must had taken a turn for the worse - he appeared to be taking steroids and going to the gym (It would appear that the needles and syringes were for steroid administration not illegal drugs although I cannot be sure) The spare bedroom was where the marijuana was grown………………………!!

I don't feel that the actual tenancy would not have been entered into by myself as I did my due diligence. However, it is obvious that he is no longer a person that I would want any other landlord to have to cope with so I guess the national alert will help prevent a successful tenancy application going forward. 

A learning curve - when I do inspections in future I will want evidence that the utility bills are being paid. If a tenant disappears with no forwarding address, and guarantors cannot be tracked down and calls & texts are not answered it is difficult to recoup any losses.

Anyway, hope that's of interest!!

http://www.landlordreferencing.....lbj071113/

I have activated my account and uploaded this tenant, why don't you?

IF YOU ARE LOGGED IN CLICK HERE TO ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT AND VIEW THIS ALERT NOW!

HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE SITE? CLICK HERE TO ARRANGE A LIVE TUTORIAL WITH YOUR PERSONAL DATA CONTROLLER

IF YOU ARE NOT A MEMBER OF LANDLORD REFERENCING SERVICES CLICK HERE TO JOIN NOW & VIEW THIS ALERT ASAP!

24/12/2013
10:14 am
SufferedInSuffolk
Guests

I finally got my deposit back today……keep good records!

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 755

Currently Online:
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

PaulBarrett: 2892

Mary Latham: 2190

LyndonBaker: 1805

David Price: 1644

Patricia A: 986

DATA CONTROL: 967

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2539

Members: 6322

Moderators: 6

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 3

Topics: 4466

Newest Members:

hereiam, EZI Global, lindy, mrkane, aztec, kkarimi

Moderators: SamiiB: 441, News @ Tenant Referencing: 1576, laura: 15, Chloe: 107, lucybarr: 0, jaswhite: 20

Administrators: Paul Routledge: 3415

/* ]]> */