Ground-breaking flood insurance scheme launches | Discuss

Welcome to the Property Forum where we can share our knowledge & experiences together to become better at what we do.

 Forum Terms & Conditions

Enlarge/Change font size here


Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —


— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Ground-breaking flood insurance scheme launches
12:53 pm
News @ Tenant Referencing

Forum Posts: 1636
Member Since:
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A new insurance scheme for home-owners has been launched today, aiming to lower insurance premiums for properties that are at high risk of flooding.

Around 350,000 homes are expected to benefit from Flood Re, following 15,000 home-owners making insurance claims for storm and flood damage last winter.

Costs will fall on ordinary policy-holders, paying on average an extra £10.50 on their premiums; raising average bills by around 2%. And those who are eligible will see their policy excesses (the amount they must pay towards a claim) capped at £250.

17 insurance companies have initially signed up to take part in this scheme where, if necessary, they can pass on any flood risk to Flood Re. So consumers will not need to contact the new scheme directly, as it will be done by their existing insurance provider.

However the scheme has been criticised by a group of climate change experts, the Climate Change Committee (CCC), who said:

“It achieves very poor value for money because it is trying to subsidise the costs of flooding, rather than addressing the causes and trying to prevent flooding in the first place.”

The Environment Agency also estimates that approximately 5.2 million homes in England and Wales are at risk from flooding, and experts predict that climate change is going to make the problem even worse.

So who is excluded from the scheme?

  • Houses build since 1st January 2009
  • Businesses
  • Landlords

Where can I find insurance?

Flood Re have an active list of insurers participating in the scheme here, which is constantly being updated as more insurers come on-board.

At Tenant Referencing UK we would love to give our buy to let members the chance to get a quote on their building and contents insurance. Built specifically for the lettings property industry, but available to all, we aim to beat any like for like quote to keep you coming back again and again for a customer led service, at a highly competitive rate.

So please click here to fill out the form for one of the most competitive insurance products on the market today.

Related topics:

The History of Insurance – why you should invest in Rent Guarantees

2 Let Serviced Referencing & Insurance Package 4 Only £60

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 755

Currently Online:
20 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

PaulBarrett: 2902

Mary Latham: 2194

LyndonBaker: 1805

David Price: 1700

Patricia: 1054


Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2622

Members: 6808

Moderators: 5

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 3

Topics: 4665

Posts: 31543

Newest Members:

a9102, kirsty56, michaelyves, c1204925, kirsty, martinbond

Moderators: News @ Tenant Referencing: 1636, laura: 15, Chloe: 107, lucybarr: 0, jaswhite: 20

Administrators: Paul Routledge: 3433