Tenant from hell trashed home leaving landlord with £20,000 | Discuss

Welcome to the Property Forum where we can share our knowledge & experiences together to become better at what we do.

Forum Terms & Conditions

Page not looking right? Please CLICK HERE to RELOAD

Enlarge/Change font size here

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Tenant from hell trashed home leaving landlord with £20,000
19/11/2011
8:59 am
Paul Routledge
Admin
Forum Posts: 3415
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Tenant From hell trashed his rented home costing his landlord £20,000 in damages and the law say's he wont have to pay 1 penny to the landlord.

He Smashed up doors and threw paint on walls and was given 18-month community order and 300 hours' unpaid work .

This story was sent over to us by a member who saw it in the Daily Mail and just goes to show why wwww.landlordreferencing.co.uk is growing bigger every day

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Read full story: @ Daily Mail.

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

21/11/2011
5:49 am
Rigsby
Members
Forum Posts: 49

While I do sympathise with the landlord and what has happened is wrong.

He has to take on some of the blame for:

1 Renting to a 18 year old

2 Not having a home owning guarantor

3 Not using a agent (who if any good would have recommend against)

Also how does a 18 yo afford a 4 bed property unless he had permission to sublet?

19/12/2011
8:04 pm
PaulineMcdougall
Durham
Members
Forum Posts: 2

I know how this feels. I had a family moved into my property who seamed really nice. They did everything right with the benefit application and ticked the box for rent to be paid direct and backed it up with a letter. The council took a few months to sort the rent and in the end they said they had paid rent to the tenant. The tenant was devasted in case I thought they had spent the rent and offered to show me their bank satements as they hadnt received any payment. Very convincing! I complained to the council and after another payment had been made to the tenant the council rang me to ask if the complaint was going to be dropped as the tenant had moved out 3 weeks earlier, had said they had received the rent and had paid it to me. When I went to the house with my builder we were met by a horrific stench and swarms of flies, animal faeces, dirty nappies, damage and filth beyond belief. They had been in the property 11 weeks. I was unable to contact them as they ignored all texts, e-mails and calls.

By chance whilst driving through a village a few miles away I saw the tenant go into a house and after checking in the local shop confirmed their new address. I informed the utility companies as they had not paid these. As soon as they received their gas bill I started to get abusive texts , calls and e-mails. They made a complaint to my manager at work (NHS) and tried to say that I had breached data proection by using NHS records to find their address (easily disproved due to strict security and user traceability), they told the police I was harrassing them and said that they were going to see a solicitor and the MP! None of this amounted to anything but it cost me £13,000 and a 6 week void. My new tenants have moved in but are becoming concerned about the number of debt letters that are arriving in case bailiffs call. If they do is it ok to pass on their new address?

20/12/2011
7:01 am
Rigsby
Members
Forum Posts: 49

I always pass the new address to debt collection companies if I know it. I would also be tempted to try to contact the agent or owner of their new property to inform them how nice they were as tenants.

Remember any debt is with the tenant not the property.

I also open the mail if a tenant leaves under a cloud. I am not sure if this is legal, I did hear it was it was only against the law if you did something illegal with the information. (but not sure)

But all I do call up the companies to give new address.   

20/12/2011
1:12 pm
Jayne.B
Inverness,Scotland.
Members
Forum Posts: 18
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 755

Currently Online: Liz
41 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

PaulBarrett: 2893

Mary Latham: 2190

LyndonBaker: 1805

David Price: 1660

Patricia A: 986

DATA CONTROL: 968

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2552

Members: 6353

Moderators: 6

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 1

Forums: 3

Topics: 4493

Newest Members:

worldwebs, markhw, birdandco, leshard35, alyasali, homelettings

Moderators: SamiiB: 447, News @ Tenant Referencing: 1586, laura: 15, Chloe: 107, lucybarr: 0, jaswhite: 20

Administrators: Paul Routledge: 3415

/* ]]> */