Stay Safe Online | Tip of the Day from LRS
This week is Get Safe Online week, via the governments preferred online advice channel getsafeonline.org.
Therefore each day this week Landlord Referencing Services will be providing a
‘Stay Safe Online | Tip of the Day’
for both Landlords & Tenants.
Landlord Referencing Services 3rd tip of the week for Landlords staying safe online:
3. LRS would advise that all landlords and letting agents, who are conversing via email with potential tenants, should meet them in person before any agreements are signed – for piece of mind for both parties involved.
– Always obtain copies of photo ID.
– Reference tenants accordingly via a reputable tenant referencing agency.
I brought a stolen house who is liable?
Landlord Referencing Services 3rd tip of the week for Tenants staying safe online:
Beware of fake landlords via property portals.
This summer Landlord Referencing Services was alerted to a scam on Gumtree.com, whereby fake landlords were claiming to be members of the NLA in order to fraudulently obtain money and sensitive data of tenants looking for somewhere to live.
3. Never send payments to online advertisers unless you are certain that they are genuine.
– Always verify a landlord’s association/accreditation membership.
– e.g. NLA members carry a membership card which contains a unique membership number, which can be confirmed by using the online look-up function HERE. (<<click)
– If you are at all unsure about the paperwork you are being asked to sign you should contact the particular landlord association/accreditation membership department immediately; which will be able to confirm whether it is legitimate or not.
RE: TENANT WARNING | GUMTREE SCAM.
First ‘Get Safe Online‘ Tip of the week from LRS.
Second ‘Get Safe Online’ Tip of the week from LRS.
Click the ‘Click & Tell’ image for a variety of interesting tips on how to stay safe online, via getsafeonline.org.
Feel free to add any of your own tips regarding staying safe online too!
London Housing Association investigated following data breach.
Claimants to use Social Media to access government services?
Islington Council breach tenants data protection rules.
Wonga borrowers sign away their data protection rights…
LRS Press Release Voices Concerns on Data Protection Violation.