Non-assured tenancy agreement – Is this eligible for RGI?

Non-assured tenancy agreement – Is this eligible for RGI?

Dear Samii

I am considering accepting a tenant but the appropriate tenancy for her is a non-assured tenancy agreement because 1) She is retaining another property she owns in London, and 2) I am a resident landlord in the property which shares the use of part of the building. Both make a non assured agreement appropriate according to the RLA. As such I do not need (but could choose) to protect the deposit.

She is currently going through tenant checks on her business and credit worthiness.

In these circumstances, and provided she obtains a score of 200+, would she be eligible for a RGI with you?

Samii says

DAS insurance underwriters do not accept non assured tenancy agreements within their policies. They must be under an assured shorthold, a short assured or an assured tenancy agreement to be eligible.

You mention you will share some of the property with the tenant, however for you to qualify for a non-assured tenancy agreement (where you are a resident landlord) you must not share living accommodation with the tenant. This means that you must not share toilet, bathroom, kitchen or a living room with them.

Have you got a tenant referencing question?
Then simply email and it may feature here, helping other landlords and letting agents with the same query in the future.

Not an LRS member? Click here to join now and gain exclusive access to the only real-time referencing database in the UK, alongside 25,000+ fellow landlords.

Author: News Feed

Comments are disabled.